Shop Smart at Farmers' Markets
Venice has a Farmer's Market every Saturday Morning. Here you can find local produce, fish, crafts, baked goods, and plants, as well as other local goods and services. The Farmers Market is located downtown on Tampa Avenue and is open Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
Here are some market tips:
- Buy only the amount you can use in a short period of time.
- Look for produce that’s free from unusual odors or colors and signs of spoilage.
- Handle produce gently to reduce bruising. Bacteria can thrive in the bruised areas.
- When buying cut produce, keep it cold during transport.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before handling produce.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables with cool running tap water right before eating.
- Scrub melons with a brush and running water. Bacteria can be transferred from the outside of the melon to the inside by a knife.
- Cut away bruised parts before eating. Remove the outer leaves from lettuce and cabbage.
- Keep fresh cut produce cold by placing serving containers on ice. Perishable food should spend no more than two hours in the "danger zone" (40 to 140oF).
- Store produce in containers that are free from excess liquid.
- Refrigerate cut produce and use within a few days.